[For the new hire 1-9 Process, please click here]US Citizen will never need to re-verify any documents in Section 2 when the documents expire. The only time Section 3 will be completed for a US Citizen is if he or she has had a legal name change or if he or she has been re-hired within three years of having completed the original Form I-9. For Non US Citizens, Section 3 of the Form I-9 is used to re-verify the employment eligibility of current employees whose initially verified work authorization documents have expired. The employee will need to present ORIGINAL documents to the employer to be re-verified.
- Please Note: If the employee previously completed Section 3, or if the version of the I-9 form the employee used for a previous verification is no longer the most current version of the form, the employee must complete Section 3 of a new Form I-9 using the most current version and attach it to the previously completed Form I-9. This will all need to be securely scanned* as ONE document and uploaded into GMS in the Maintain Worker Documents screen, under the category of ?Employment Eligibility (I-9 Verification Documents), using the following naming convention for the scanned document: LAST NAME, FIRST NAME, DATE FORM WAS UPDATED (MM-DD-YYYY), I-9 DOCS.
For information regarding re-verification and completing Section please visit the site: US Citizenship and Immigration Services
* UIS defines secure scanning as: Scanning to a UIS managed file share (Phoenix aka EFS, uis-fs-%%, etc.) where the file storage system resides in the datacenter. If you do not have secure scanning set up, contact the UIS Help Desk for assistance. Until secure scanning is set up, you will need to walk the original completed form and copies of the back-up documents to:
- University Services: University Human Resources (UHR), Healy Hall Basement
- Medical Center: Medical Center Human Resources - Bldg. D, Suite 172
- Law Center: Law Center Payroll Office - 583 McDonough
Always keep hard copies of the updated I-9 form and back-up documents in the department.